On 1 December 2020, following the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday & Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season when many individuals focus on their holiday & end-of-year giving.
Harnessing the power of social media & collaboration, #GivingTuesdaySA encourages individuals and non-profits alike to reach out to their communities, with the aim of creating meaningful social change and spreading goodwill.
In 2019, The Giving Tuesday movement raised over $518M globally in 24 hours, expanded 60 countries worldwide, boasted 20 Billion social media impressions and was mentioned over 950 000 times.
“When so much attention is given to what makes us different, generosity is what brings people of all races, faiths, and views together. Generosity is our individual power to make a positive change in the lives of others and is a fundamental value we can all act on” says #GivingTuesdaySA lead, Laura Parker.
Join BackaBuddy in celebrating #GivingTuesdaySA
This is how you can get involved:
- Donate to a cause you’re passionate about by visiting BackaBuddy.co.za.
- Crowdfunding campaigns are 350% more likely to be successful if shared on social media, visit BackaBuddy on Facebook and help create awareness for a campaign that inspires you! Don’t forget to hashtag #GivingTuesdaySA.
- If you’re a non-profit or community organisation, register on BackaBuddy to raise funds for various needs you might have on #GivingTuesday!
- Individuals are also encouraged to create a crowdfunding campaign to support their favourite charity on #GivingTuesdaySA. Set your fundraising target, share your personal story and introduce your cause to your networks!
For more information about BackaBuddy, email email@example.com.
What else can you do to give back on #GivingTuesday
- Volunteer your skills to support a local charitable organisation.
- Donate old clothes to children’s home or homeless shelter.
- Donate books or magazines to your local library.
- Share your giving story on Facebook group, #IMSTAYING
- Support or start a petition on change.org.
- Join The #MoveOneMillion movement to bring about positive change in South Africa.
- Visit your local SPCA and adopt a pet that needs a loving home.
- Support the South African National Blood Service by donating blood at a centre near you.
- Register to become an organ donor with the Organ Donor Foundation.
- Register to become a bone marrow donor with the South African Bone Marrow Registry.
- Learn First Aid.
- Pick up groceries or medicine for an elderly person who is unable to go to the shops.
- Tutor someone who needs help learning your mother tongue.
- Clean up your neighbourhood or city park by picking up rubbish and removing graffiti.
- Set up a recycling system in your home.
- Plant a tree in your local park.
- Let your friends know about GivingTuesday
Whether you dedicate #GivingTuesday to helping a neighbour or stranger out, volunteer your time or donate funds to a good cause, every act of generosity counts!
Children can also join the youth-led social change activation movement #GivingTuesdayKids and log their act of service.
Learn more about #GivingTuesdaySA on their website or email info@GivingTuesdaySA.org.
Follow Giving Tuesday on social media: @GivingTuesdaySA