Domestic worker crowdfunds to feed vulnerable Ottery community during Lockdown
Neighbouring Cape Town’s leafy southern suburbs, is the community of Ottery, which is home to over 6000 South Africans.
Here following social distancing guidelines is near impossible, as it is commonplace for a small flat to house between 4 and 12 individuals. The lockdown has also affected the workforce tremendously, as many individuals are unable to work to provide food and other amenities for the people in their care.
Hoping to make a difference, Lauren Juries, who works as a domestic worker, identified over 100 vulnerable families in her immediate area who are in need of support during the lockdown.
To raise funds to deliver care packages to these families, Lauren launched a campaign on donations based crowdfunding platform, BackaBuddy, partnering with YeboFresh, Omega Family Fellowship, PowerTime, Hands of Honour and Shoprite to make a meaningful contribution to her community.
The campaign went live on 17 April 2020 and has thus far raised a total of R69 516.56 to purchase basic groceries, fruit and vegetables, meat and electricity for vulnerable families in Ottery.
Support Lauren’s campaign to support vulnerable families in Ottery, by making a donation on BackaBuddy: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/ottery-care
Create your own crowdfunding campaign
- BackaBuddy has supported more than 10 000+ individuals and charities in setting up crowdfunding campaigns for medical fees, tuition and various other causes in South Africa.
- Raise funds for an individual or cause.
- Register your non-profit organisation.
- Create a crowdfunding campaign to fundraise for a non-profit organisation.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about crowdfunding here
Connect with us
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/porkyspeople/
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/porkyspeople/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/porkyspeople/