How to create a crowdfunding campaign in South Africa
Crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project online by receiving many small donations from a large number of individuals who are passionate about your cause.
The concept is growing rapidly across Africa, with a report from the University of Cambridge estimating the total crowdfunding activity in Africa to reach over R30 billion by 2025.
In 2019 donations based crowdfunding platform, BackaBuddy, a proudly South African initiative, surpassed the 100 Million raised mark with over 6832 campaigns launched for charities and individuals.
Crowdfunding for a Person.
- Create a campaign for a loved one in need of medication or an expensive medical procedure not covered by medical aid.
- Fundraise for your education, textbooks.
- Stand up for social injustice.
- Honour a local hero with an act of kindness.
- Uplift your local community.
- Offer support in an emergency or disaster.
- Create a campaign in loving memory of a loved one who has passed.
- Get your sporting team to an event.
Petrol attendant Nkosikho Mbele helped a woman at Shell Ultra City outside Cape Town by using his own money to buy fuel for the motorist who had forgotten her bank card on May 30 2019. Inspired by his kind gesture, over R500 000 was crowdfunded on BackaBuddy by generous South Africans.
Over R1.6million has been raised on BackaBuddy for Aaron Lipschitz (3) from Sea Point, Cape Town to receive his bone marrow transplant.
Create a crowdfunding campaign on BackaBuddy for a friend or loved one.
STEP 1: Tell BackaBuddy your story by signing up here
STEP 3: Once your campaign has been submitted the BackaBuddy team will review your supporting documents (ID, references) to validate your request.
STEP 3: The BackaBuddy support team will be in contact with you within 2 working days with your campaign link.
Below: BackaBuddy COO, Catherine Du Plooy discusses crowdfunding for a person.
Crowdfunding for Charities
Create a crowdfunding campaign on Backabuddy for your Charity.
STEP 1: Raise funds for your non-profit organisation on Backabuddy by signing up here
STEP 2: Once you have submitted the sign up form, The BackaBuddy support team will be in contact with you within 2 working days.
STEP 3: When your charity profile is live, you will be able to start your first campaign and funds for various needs in your organisation.
Individuals will also be able to raise funds for your organisation by pledging their birthday’s, climbing a mountain or taking part in various sporting events by completing this form and selecting your organisation from the drop-down menu!
Standing up for a cause:
- Trevor Noah set up a BackaBuddy campaign to raise funds for The Trevor Noah Foundation to improve education in SA.
- Miss Universe Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters raised over R600 000 for the Sedgefield Lions Club in the wake of the 2017 Knysna Fires.
- Advocate Gerrie Nel set up a campaign on BackaBuddy in August 2019 to support the NSPCA with a high profile legal case.
Below: BackaBuddy COO, Catherine Du Plooy discusses crowdfunding for Charities.
For more information Whatsapp + 27 (0) 62 163 2276 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Connect with Backabuddy on Facebook here.
Visit our Porky’s People charity profile on BackaBuddy to support one of our various projects. Click here